Sunday, January 11, 2015

Finding the Extraordinary in the Everyday Ordinary

Finding the Extraordinary in the Everyday Ordinary

We have a choice. We can choose to see things as extraordinary, or we can choose to see things as ordinary. When our heart is closed to God’s unfailing love, our vision fogs and we only see what the enemy wants us to see. The farther apart we are from God, the more events, people and thoughts get twisted and flipped. 

God’s blessings are all around us. We have the ability to feel the joy and the love that comes through those blessings, but we have to be open to it, we have to ask for it, and we have to receive it.  Most importantly, we have to praise God for it.

When we go throughout our day choosing to focus on the positive, it becomes more natural and automatic to praise God. Feeling thankful, giving praise to our King and dismissing the negative creates a whole new level of joy in our lives. This joy is so full and holy that nothing can steal it away.

Today, I took my lens and captured the everyday, ordinary in a 2 hour period of time. I prayed over and praised God for every ordinary moment I captured. I am not a photographer, and these two hours were nothing special or extraordinary…but they ended up turning into an experience I will never forget. I learned a new way to live and I am not going back.

My horribly misbehaved dog, who is forever patient, loving, and steadfast and brings me more joy than I can imagine.  He always parks himself under the table during meal time. He doesn't whine, bark, or scratch. He just gives gentle reminders that he is there by putting his head on my leg or on my foot. Although he seems to cause me more stress in the day than I would like, someday, I will miss that head resting on my foot. Thank you God, for the love, lessons, and blessings you give me through my canine friend.
The puzzle I have done 100 times, but which brings so much joy to my son, and therefore to me. Playtime can get mundane, boring at times, but not today. I savored every moment as my son practiced his letters and beamed with pride when he got one right. Thank you God for my son's mind, heart, and soul.
Who leaves their shoes on the bed? My husband does. It drives me nuts. He is a messy, unorganized, clothes on the floor kind of man. And...I love him, and He loves Jesus. When I walked into our room, I saw the normal mess he leaves when he is getting ready for work. Then, I noticed his bible on the bed. I had to capture this moment because it is the everyday ordinary that we live, and it is extraordinary. I could not be more thankful and grateful that I am married to a man that loves Jesus and leaves his bible around the house. I can deal with the shoes on the bed, because where my husbands heart lies is all that matters. Thank you God, for my husband, who brings me closer to You each and every day.
My son is grumpy. He is ready for his nap and his favorite word is no; AND, he is amazing. Although he has pushed my buttons one to many times today, I am so beyond thankful that I can hold him, rock him, and lay him down for his nap. Normally, the 30 minutes before nap time are spent in countdown mode to when I can take a shower and have some ME time. Today, it was focused on how much I love this sweet gift from God and how I want to savor every second of every minute of every hour of every day. Thank you God, for blessings us with this precious child, and for growing me into a woman who relies on You, and You alone, for happiness.
Father God, Today I saw You in ways that I normally do not. You are always there, and I could experience You in this way Everyday, but I have to choose to do so. Today, I purposefully and intentionally sought to discover Your blessings and Praise You. I was blown away with the results. I want to live this way everyday. I love You, and I praise you with every ounce of my being. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...