Thursday, October 23, 2014

Fear



The Halloween aisle at Walmart scared me today. I’m sure 10 year olds walk down that aisle every day and think it’s great…I on the other hand think it is terrifying. The scary masks, the chainsaws, the skeletons and the spiders are so unpleasant to me. 

It will come as no surprise to you that I get scared easily.  I have been this way my whole life. I was the girl that sat at home when all her friends where doing the scary corn maze and haunted house.  I can remember when I was little being so scared of the headless horseman that I had nightmares at just the sound of his name...headless horseman!  So I made everyone in my family call him cupcake instead. Silly I know. 

Although I really don’t like the Halloween aisle, fake blood, or the headless horseman…that is not what keeps me up at night anymore.  So long are the days when the only thing I had to fear is the scary movie coming on Nickelodeon. Now I have real fears. 

I fear that I won’t be able to have any more children, I fear that my husband will get hurt while working and not be able to come home to me, I fear that my child will get bullied or be the one to bully.  I fear that my house will burn down, that I or a loved one will get cancer and die way too young, and that my children will grow up and not know and love the Lord. 

These are my real fears. They could consume my day and affect every aspect of my life but I don’t let that happen.  There have been times when I did allow fear to consume my day and I don’t want to go back to that place again. The fears that I have, although real to me, are of the world. Evil wants me to fear these things so that it cripples me and pulls me away from God. 

We have no control over what happens in the world around us and that can lead to uncertainty, doubt, and fear. God, on the other hand, is in control. He can give us a sense of peace that nothing of the world can provide. “I am leaving you with a gift-peace of mind and heart.  And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give.  So don’t be troubled or afraid” (John 14:27). The gift that Jesus is referring to in this verse is the Holy Spirit. We cannot feel Godly peace without the power of the Holy Spirit. When we invite the Holy Spirit into our hearts and allow Him to work, we can feel peace instead of fear in all circumstances, both in the present and future. 

Our world is full of sin and sometimes our fears do happen to us or those close to us.  However, if we let God guard our hearts, instead of fear, we will feel Godly peace in even our darkest moments.  “Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me” (Psalm 23:4).  

Living in fear is not fun. It is exhausting, draining, and life changing. The fears that we have can be passed on to our loved ones, especially our children, faster than we can imagine. Let’s put a stop to fear and accept the peace that God is handing to us. “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-30).  

God, fill our hearts with the peace that only You can provide. Smother our fears and let your fire burn deep within our souls. We put our trust in You. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...