Wednesday, October 8, 2014

A Wise Home




I can be honest and say that I am not a smarty pants. I often times get lost on routes that I have taken numerous times. I have more than once put dish soap in the dish washer. I leave my keys in the front door on a weekly basis. I think most 2nd graders can spell better than I can, and I often times forget my phone number. Hmm, the odds for me having a ‘wise home’ are not looking so good. Or are they? What does a wise home look like?



In the book of Proverbs, Solomon provides us with a clear look at what Godly wisdom is and how important it is for us to have not just for ourselves but for our families. Wisdom is what helps us put our knowledge into action. Godly wisdom affects our speech, relationships, work, home life and our character. Wisdom helps us make good choices on a day to day basis about what is right and wrong. Wisdom helps us to feel more humble, faithful, and loving. Godly wisdom can save us from the sin that surrounds us daily. “Wisdom will save you from the ways of wicked men” (Proverbs 2:12).



I want Godly wisdom. I want to be a better wife, mom, daughter, and friend. I don’t care if I put dish soap in the dish washer once in a while but I do care about how I discipline my children, about how I speak to my husband, about having the right priorities, and about making the right decisions in regards to finances, my career and homemaking. I want my everyday actions to measure up to my Faith.



So how do we get Godly wisdom? Solomon tells us in Proverbs 2:9-11 that we can gain Godly wisdom by trusting and honoring God, reading God’s word as much as possible, inviting God into every part of our life, living out the knowledge we are given, and learning from our past mistakes. We also need to ask God for wisdom. Wisdom is God’s gift to us and he wants us to have it! Although it takes effort, time, and faith, God will give us wisdom when we search for it. “And if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. For the Lord gives wisdom and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding” (Proverbs 2:3-6).



You don’t have to be a smart woman to be a wise woman. It doesn’t matter if you did horrible on the SAT’s or if your hubby knows more jeopardy questions than you. It doesn’t matter if you always loose the library books, or if you have to give your kids cereal and peas for dinner because you forgot to d-thaw the chicken. What matters is that you are a wise woman of God, whose home radiates God’s love in such a way that your spouse and your children can’t help but walk out the front door filled with God’s love. 
 Father God, I desire to know You more. I need You, for without you I will fail. Fill me with the Holy Spirit and transform my mind so that I may absorb what I read and that I may teach what I learn. Give me wisdom. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...