Tuesday, April 21, 2015

A Good Enough Mom







Have you ever had one of those days where you wonder if you are a good mom, if you have what it takes to raise another human being into a Godly, caring, loving, faithful person? 

If you have, you’re not alone. 

Sometimes I allow my little mistakes throughout the day to rob me of my confidence in being a good enough mom. 

God does not want us to feel this way. He doesn't want us to believe the lies from the enemy.

Sometimes he does allow us to mess up so that we can become aware of some of our hidden blemishes that need to be pruned by God. 

You see, the closer we get to God, the more we become like him, and the more we need to be pruned of our old ways. Not all parenting mistakes are bad. Sometimes, it is God’s way of revealing some of our ugliness to ourselves. We can’t change for the better until we know what it is that needs to be changed. 

When we mess up we have two options.
1.)    Dwell in how horrible of a mom we are
2.)    Repent, and ask God to change this part about you and help/guide you into become more like Christ.

Number 2 is the only option that will lead to good, fruit producing parenting. 

If we don’t give God our mistakes, letting them go completely, then we run the risk of missing out on the good that God is doing in our lives each and every day.

Yesterday, I had one of those days. The morning did not go well to say it nicely. My patience was tested, and my confidence was plummeting. 

During nap time I asked God to show me what I needed to do to be my son’s mom. 

What happened next was just a simple reminder from God that He is with us all day every day, listening to our every cry for help, and answering our prayers.

When my son woke from his nap we began to play Noah’s ark (which is nothing out of the ordinary). We were discussing how it rained really hard for 40 days and nights, and then it started down pouring outside our house. My son and I ran to the window to watch. Two minutes later the rained stopped completely and a beautiful rainbow appeared in the sky. I grabbed my camera and we ran outside to look at it.  

My son says “there it is mom! It’s God’s rainbow, that’s His promise”.



It was a beautiful moment, and a reminder, that the little bad moments that we have as moms do not define us. They do not change how great of mothers we are. It is not the mistakes, nor is it good moments that we have, that make us good moms.

It is the trust that we have in God, to work through us, prune us, mold us, and shape us into women who are changing the world one baby at a time. 

Father God, thank you for answering our every prayer. Thank you for making me a better mom and for showing me the way. Thank you for Your patience with me as I learn, and for pruning me even though it hurts sometimes. If I ever turn my back on you, make it flood, and bring me back to you. Bless my child and fill him with your Holy Spirit. Give him a heart to see your goodness and love in the everyday ordinary. Amen.

"Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing". (John 15:5)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...