Saturday, September 13, 2014

Worry Much?



Worry Much?

As we pull away from the house watching our little guy holding a balloon waving bye bye I can’t help but worry. Will he wonder where we are and be sad? Will my mom remember to close the baby gate so he doesn’t fall down the stairs? What if one of the balloons pop and he finds pieces of it on the floor, tries to eat it and chokes? 

Silly me, we are only going to be gone for 6 hours and he is being taken care of by my wonderful mother so I really should have nothing to worry about, right? Wrong, no matter what the circumstance, I can always find something to worry about. I started worrying while I was in the hospital and my baby was 1 day old! Is my baby getting enough milk? Did I swaddle him right? Will I ever fit into my pre-pregnancy pants again? 

It goes on and on. When I became a mom, worry hit me like a rock.

What does worry do for us? The Bible tells us that it does nothing but cause ill effects like affecting our health and taking precious time away from our day and our loved ones.   

In Matthew chapter 6 Jesus warns about the dangers of worry. He says “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?” (Matthew 6:25-27).

 I love this last verse. I could probably add numerous hours to my life with time that I have spent worrying. 
  
What can we do instead of worry? We can plan, pray and trust.

We can spend our time wisely by planning for the adventure ahead of us, asking God for help, and trusting that God will provide. When we plan, pray and trust there is no room for worry.

 “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own” (Matthew 6:34). Instead of sitting in the car talking to my husband about how I was worried about my son choking on balloons…I could have been talking to him about his day at work. I had already done all of the ‘planning’ for the evening. I had written out his schedule, laid out his pajamas, filled up his Sippy cup with milk. Now all I needed to do was say a prayer and 
trust God. 


Heavenly Father, Thank you for supplying all of our needs and for Blessing us in ways we cannot even comprehend. Forgive us for spending time worrying instead of trusting You. Help us be smart in planning our schedules, days and weeks so that we would have more time to spend loving our family and bringing Glory to You. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...