Saturday, September 6, 2014

Becoming One





It’s 5 AM and I pop out of bed in a panic. Where is he? Why hasn’t he kissed me goodbye? Oh no, he is supposed to leave for work in 10 minutes and he is not in bed or in the shower. He must be asleep on the couch. I run down stairs as fast as I can and find nothing but the dog thumping his tail against the floor. Oh yes, now I remember, hubby is out of town. Now how many more minutes of sleep can I get before the baby awakes?

This is not the first time I have anticipated my husbands needs when he is out of town. In fact it happens almost every time he leaves. I even anticipate his needs when he is in town. Like when he needs me to make him a sandwich because he is late for work, or when he calls me from work to ask me to record a big game, or when he starts rummaging through my purse….I know he just needs some Bert’s bees wax chap stick. One evening I was out to dinner with a friend and I had a strange feeling that something was not right at home. I felt uneasy, not because I was concerned about his ability to put our son to bed, but for some other reason that I could not pinpoint.  I wanted to get home so I asked for the check. As I was signing the check my husband called to tell me his close friend had passed away.  I somehow anticipated that something bad was happening and sure enough it had.

I tend to anticipate what he needs on a day to day basis and I like it that way. Sometimes, like at 5 AM, it is more of an inconvenience. However, I would not change it for the world because this is how God designed marriage to be. The Bible is very clear about the importance of husbands and wives becoming one. The creation story mentions the importance of this in Genesis 2:24 and Jesus talks about it in Matthew 19: 4-6.  In Ephesians 5:22-23 Paul writes numerous times about how husbands and wives should love their spouses as they love themselves because they have joined together in one flesh. “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.  This is a profound mystery - but I am talking about Christ and the church.  However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband” (Eph 5:31-33). When we become one with our husbands and love them as we love ourselves, their needs become our needs, their thoughts become our thoughts, and their interests become more important than our interests.

I love anticipating my husband’s needs, knowing how he is feeling, and putting his needs before my own. Likewise, I love it when he does the same for me! This is how God designed it and it is not only pleasing to Him but it is also pleasing to us. I love proverbs 19:22 which says “He who finds a wife finds what is good and received favor from the Lord”. Amen sisters! Our husbands are blessed to have us in their lives and we are blessed to have them in ours. God created marriage for our enjoyment so when we follow God’s plan for marriage we find great joy!


What can you do today to show your husband that you love him as you love yourself?

Father God, You are so good! Thank you for giving us the gift of marriage. Forgive us when we fall short of honoring and loving our husbands like you have commanded us to do.  Help us anticipate our husband’s needs, put his needs before our own, and love him as You love us. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...